Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:37:44 -0600
From:      "E.S." <bsdterm@HotPOP.com>
To:        "Dilshod" <dilshod@cox.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Customizing the consol - Changing the resolution

Haven't dealt with splash screens on the console (I prefer to watch all the
gory dmesg output scroll by), but I just changed my console resolution on a
4.7-STABLE box (built about 2 months ago) a few days ago.  I can't say for
sure whether the following instructions will work on a 5.0 box, however...

I ran "man vidcontrol", and found that it looks like the highest resolution
you can achieve is 800x600, with a font size of 8x8 at 132x60 chars
on-screen.  I found that the 800x600 res uses a "box" centered on the screen
in which my text was displayed -- that is, there's a lot of unused black
space around my console, so I use "VESA_132x50" instead (see #2 below)
instead of "VESA_800x600" to eliminate the wasted screen space.

After messing around with putting my own startup script in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/, I found that, IIRC, all I needed to do was to (in this
order, of course):

1) Prior to doing #2, load the VESA driver ("kldload vesa").  This can be done
with this line in /boot/loader.conf:

vesa_load="YES"

2) Put this option in /etc/rc.conf:

allscreens_flags="-f 8x8 /usr/share/syscons/fonts/iso-8x8.fnt VESA_132x50"

...which will set the ISO 8x8 font and as default across all consoles, using
the "vidcontrol" command.  Of course, you can use other fonts (as long as
they are 8x8) if you prefer.

3) Reboot to reinit the rc.conf file's new settings

And assuming I haven't forgotten anything, that's it!

Before doing any of the above though, I *highly* reccommend trying out the
different resolutions and fonts using the "vidcontrol" command on 1 console
until you find a combination you like -- *then* put the vidcontrol option
string in for the allscreens_flags="" statement above.  That way, you don't
change 1 setting and either A) it doesn't work or B) you find out you don't
like it, and in either case, you wind up rebooting over and over again...
You don't have to reboot to change your console resolution at all...

-ES