Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 12:11:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Keith Mitchell <kmitch@weenix.guru.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fs corruption (ATA / 4.4-REL)

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Keith Mitchell wrote:

> pcib1: <VIA 82C598MVP (Apollo MVP3) PCI-PCI (AGP) bridge> at device 1.0 on pci0
> isab0: <VIA 82C586 PCI-ISA bridge> at device 7.0 on pci0
> atapci0: <VIA 82C586 ATA33 controller> port 0xb400-0xb40f at device 7.1 on pci0

The VIA chipset is probably your culprit, though I'm not exactly sure
if the MVP3 has the PCI bus corruption problem or if it is only the
later KT133/KT266 chipsets.  If so, your motherboard vendor is
supposed to fix the PCI bus corruption problems in the BIOS, so try a
BIOS update.  If that doesn't fix it, you'll have to install
4.4-STABLE, since Soren just recently put a fix into the ata driver to
work around a problem with those chipsets that the motherboard vendors
should be fixing but aren't.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet