Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 10:51:50 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Microsoft Mouse on com port and X

Hi,

I have the 3/22 snap installed and am having trouble getting X to recognize
my mouse.  The mouse is connected to the com port of the serial card.  I
also have another serial card installed.  Both cards are 16450 (not that
it matters).

I followed the directions in the README.FreeBSD that came with XFree86-3.1.1
for creating the mouse device file.  I tried "sh MAKEDEV tty00" and
"sh MAKEDEV tty01" but could not figure out what device file it should
have created for the mouse.  I have also tried "cat < /dev/tty??" for all
possible devices to check for mouse activity.

The serial ports sio0 and sio1 are probed successfully at boot time, and
lpt0 is found also.  But there is no entry for /dev/sio0 or /dev/sio1.
Should there be?  Or do sio0 and sio1 relate to tty00 and tty01, both
of which are not in /dev either.

I would like to know the major/minor numbers of these devices so I can
make them manually if I have to.  I remember reading earlier someone had
a similar problem with not knowing what the major and minor numbers
should be for varous devices.

I'd appreciate any help or pointers to other FAQs.  You can e-mail me
directly if this question has been answered to many times before on
the list.

Thanks in advance,

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org