Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 1997 00:34:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Riffle <rif@ns.kconline.com>
To:        Shigetoh Howard Kumagai <howard@wr.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MS Exchange client

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Shigetoh Howard Kumagai wrote:

> Hi,
> This is Shigetoh Kumagai. I configure and maintain
> Exchange as a part of my day job for our customers.
>
> By the way, I think this mailing list is for FreeBSD _and_ ISP related matters.
> Not for Exchange...

I must have really mistated what I was tring to say in my origional post.
This is a FreeBSD ISP issue.  I am the unix admin for an ISP, in which all
our our servers use FBSD..  What I was tring to ask in my question was how
to configure sendmail on my end so when he connects, the FBSD server has
the stuff waiting in the sendmail que for it to be sent to his machine.

I appoligize for not phrazing the question clearly :)

>  What you shoud get is Service Pack 2 for Exchange 4.0 at least.
>  This makes configuration a litte easier.

I will let him know of that, thanks for the tip!

>  Are you going to connect you customer permanent or semi-permanent?
>  This will also make some difference.

He is planning on having it call our servers to pick up the mail once an
hour or so.

>  rif> So, the problem lies in having my box accept the mail for their domain and
>  rif> hold it in the queue until it is deliverable.
>
>  See Sendmail book and DNS book(For detail, see http://www.ora.com)

Thank you for the suggestion, I just may have to break down and actually
get that book sometime.  I bet that would have made setting up UUCP a lot
eaiser when I got that one going.

The weird thing which I just don't understand on how this should work is
if I give a MX record for say foo.com so that mail is handled by
207.51.167.3, and then on 207.51.167.3, put in a CW line so that it will
accept mail for the domain, how in the world is it ever going to get to
the client who dials up saying they are foo.com.  foo.com is already set
to have 207.51.167.3 handle its mail, so when sendmail processes its que,
it would seem that it would try to send the mail right back to itself.
Is this a simple issue of having 2 MX records, having their machine having
a higher priority?

One thing that I did try which almost worked was gave say foo.com a MX
record to be handled by 207.51.167.3, then I had 207.51.167.3 convert the
domain foo.com to test.foo.com which had a MX record with their static IP
in it.  It did accept the mail for foo.com then, converted it to
test.foo.com, and stayed in the mailq for 30 minutes.  When the que
flushed, it bounced the message back saying the host points back to
itself.  I figured that was a klude even if it did work.  I am sure their
is a sendmail option out there which is probablly really simple (Hence
some of everybodys "by the book" solutions).

Thank you all for your time,
Jim Riffle