Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 06:18:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
To:        "Daniel J. Zaccariello" <marisombra@mindspring.com>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and IRC

Almost everything that ends with a '?' gets a reply someway, somehow about
#freebsdhelp. It's not a matter of being a newbie or cluebie. Yes, some
people help, but the majority of the time, they don't. It's emphasized via
/topic's, /kick's, and channel messages, but people to continue to
ban-evade, DoS operators, flood the channel, and throw insults back.

Ask John Baldwin about his experience yesterday, someone came in for
help, he said to go to either #freebsdhelp or questions@freebsd.org and
they responded with an insult, one of the persons involved in this thread
was logged saying 'fuck you too' after a channel operator *helped* him.

The more abuse that pops up results in more kicking and banning (or op
abuse as people like to refer to it). Take a look at the logs and you'll
see the responses we get after we tell them it's not a help channel.

Examples:
"I don't wanna read the FAQ, it's too long."
"Can't you just tell me here?"
"That man page doesn't exist."

Furthermore, this thread should die, the FAQ explains that #FreeBSD on
EFnet isn't a help channel, there may be some occasional help, but that
doesn't give you the God-given right to expect it at all times. Like the
FAQ says, "YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED."

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Daniel J. Zaccariello wrote:

> No you don't.  I've been there plenty of times, and have spoken to very
> polite people who helped me a great deal.  Should I call you a liar with
> the same rush to judgment as you call a person that asks a question in the
> channel a newbie, or cluebie?
>
> At 05/02/2000 07:20 PM Tuesday, you wrote:
> >The point is that it isn't a help channel and we emphasize that every 3-5
> >minutes and everytime a question is asked.

| Omachonu Ogali                                     oogali@intranova.net |
| Intranova Networking Group                 http://tribune.intranova.net |
| PGP Key ID:                                                  0xBFE60839 |
| PGP Fingerprint:       C8 51 14 FD 2A 87 53 D1  E3 AA 12 12 01 93 BD 34 |