Date:      Tue, 9 May 1995 22:31:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Neal Westfall <nwestfal@orion.csci.csusb.edu>
To:        "Erik A. Pearson" <epearson@olac.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@cs.weber.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.0 & mitsumi lu002

> > > may not work. Have you found that this actually works? Are there other
> > > settings on the card or driver that should be changed? Should the DMA
> > > channel on the card be set to 1, 3, or none?
> >
> > I didn't realize from your message that this was an EIDE CDROM drive.
>
> Oops, sorry if I gave the wrong impression, it is the lu002 with an 8-bit
> dedicated interface card, w/ jumpers for i/o address, irq, and DMA
> channel. The unit was sold as a BMR 6800 (or something like that).

Unfortunately I think it is the old interface card that is the problem.
I have a Pinnacle Micro single speed cdrom which uses the same 8 bit
interface as yours. (no upper interrupts, dma on 1 or 3).  I've never
gotten it to work quite right with FreeBSD.  It constantly spews
forth read errors, timeout errors, and everything else.  Not to mention
it is extremely slow compared to using it under dos.  And now I just
discovered a couple of days ago that Win95 doesn't much like it either.
Neither does Linux.  So I'm looking to get a new one soon, probably
SCSI.  BTW, it is identified by the probe as LU002.

Neal Westfall                            nwestfal@csci.csusb.edu

FreeBSD 2.0-BUILT-19950503 #0: Wed May  3 11:08:38 PDT 1995
    root@darkside.csci.csusb.edu:/usr/src/sys/compile/DARKSIDE