Date:      Sun, 09 Jul 2000 23:26:05 GMT
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
To:        dnelson@emsphone.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microtech pcmcia/flash SCSI device

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 16:15:03 -0500

dnelson> In the last episode (Jul 07), Marty Cawthon said:
dnelson> >   I am trying to read a digital cameral Compact Flash by inserting it
dnelson> > into a "pcmcia" (PC Card) carrier, and inserting that combination
dnelson> > into a SCSI PC Card Reader (Microtech).  This SCSI card reader is
dnelson> > connected via an external SCSI cable to an AHA-2940UW SCSI
dnelson> > controller.
dnelson> >
dnelson> >   I expect that I can do a "mount" of this device and read it as a
dnelson> > drive.  My initial attempts were not successful, and it occured to me
dnelson> > that perhaps the format of data on this Compact Flash was not
dnelson> > recognizable to the file system.
dnelson> >
dnelson> >   What I tried:
dnelson> >
dnelson> >     bash-2.02# mount /dev/da1 /flash
dnelson> >     mount: /dev/da1 on /flash: incorrect super block
dnelson>
dnelson> What filesystem is typically on a flash device?  Not FFS, I assume.
dnelson> Try mount -t msdos .
dnelson>
dnelson> --
dnelson> 	Dan Nelson
dnelson> 	dnelson@emsphone.com

Hello Dan,

This worked for my setup:

  # mount -t msdos /dev/da1s1 /flash

Thanks much for your helpful suggestion.

Marty Cawthon
ChipChat