Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 07:21:18 -0600
From:      Mike Porter <mupi@mknet.org>
To:        Richard Smith <rdls@rdls.net>, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing

On Wednesday 16 May 2001 18:25, Richard Smith wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 09:14:34AM +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
> > Tim, see the FAQ under System Administration where it explains
> > what to do if you've lost your root password.
> > Your /usr/partition is not mounted at that stage, which is
> > why you can't see (or use) its contents.
> >
> >  [...] At the question about the shell to use, hit ENTER. You'll be
> >  dropped to a # prompt. Enter mount -u / to remount your root
> >  filesystem read/write, then run mount -a to remount all the
> >  filesystems. Run passwd root to change the root password then run
> >  exit to continue booting.
>
> Why does the FAQ suggest that the `mount -u /' command precede the
> `mount -a' command when both mount(8) and experiment show it as
> being unnecessary?
>
> i.e. a simple `mount -a' achieves the same result.

 becuase (as happened to me yesterday....) mount -a may fail.  I added a new
disk to my system, without stopping to think about the device numbering, and
wound up unable to boot becuase my former /usr/local had moved from ad0 to
ad1.  To correct this, I had to first creade the /dev entries for ad1s2*,
then edit /etc/fstab to change ad0s2e to ad1s2e, after which it worked like a
charm.  BTW that's another vote for DEVFS from me, since as I understand it,
although I would still have to change /etc/fstab, I wouldn't have to go in
and manually create each slice entry; that's a whole other ball of wax though.

mike