Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 23:41:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      zhihuizhang <bf20761@binghamton.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   onboard IDE controller, installation, and driver

I have a PC that has ASUS SP97-V motherboard. It has onboard IDE and FDC.
I have three confusions arising from this motherboard:

(1) I am wondering whether those "onboard" or "integrated" controllers are
connected to the PCI bus of the motherboard.  Or are they connected to the
CPU local bus, as described in the book "PCI system architecture" by Tom
Shanley (see page 21)? Or are they connected to the X-bus described by the
same book? BTW, is the integrated floppy controller a IDE controller?

The word "onboard" really confuses me.

(2) If the hard disk is connected to the IDE controller which is sitting
on the PCI bus (the manual says it is a PCI Bus master), then when I
install FreeBSD, I should be able to remove ALL ISA storage devices.
Right? Yet, I remember doing this and FreeBSD installation refuses to go
on because there is no storage device configured (I am not absolutely sure
about this though.  I did the installation about a month ago).  Why is
this the case?  A PCI device should be configured automatically.

(3) If I write a device driver for a hard disk, I will read/write I/O
registers on the disk drive (not in the controller). Does this mean that
the IDE controller plays no role in the drive code?  I mean, the driver
code can ignore the existence of the controller, as if it directly
controls the disk drive.  Do we need any special handling of the IDE or
SCSI controller in the driver code?

I hope some one can clarify my concepts or give me some pointers.

Any help is appreciated.