Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 19:29:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Gail Pickett <archiver@db.geocrawler.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.3 Release Source

On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Gail Pickett wrote:

> This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "Gail Pickett" <gmpicket@icx.net>
> Be sure to reply to that address.
>
> Back in November 1999, I downloaded via ftp to
> floppies the minimal amount of stuff required to
> install FreeBSD 3.3 release on an old 486 laptop
> computer that had no CD-ROM.  This worked out
> fine.  Now I need to download the source code
> stuff so that I can build a custom kernel for
> that computer, but the source code stuff for 3.3
> Release has disapeared from ftp.freebsd.org.
> Where did it go?  Do I have to upgrade to 3.4?

All FreeBSD source is in the CVS repository.  It is possible to use CVS to
retrieve an arbitrary source tree, based on a number of criteria, such as
datestamp, file revision, or CVS tag.  A tag is inserted for every release,
as well as for some other notworthy branches.  The tag you want to retrieve
is RELENG_3_3_0_RELEASE .  The handbook has good instructions on how to do
what you want.  In particular take a look at section 17.3 (see
 <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html>; or your local mirror.)

David Scheidt