Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 16:36:12 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>, "Ben Hockenhull" <benh@jpj.net>, "SPROLESD@sw.noacsc.ohio.gov" <SPROLESD@sw.noacsc.ohio.gov>
Subject:   Re: Making A FreeBSD CD-ROM

> [ redirected to -chat; this doesn't belong in -questions ]

Then why did you leave -questions in the cc line? :-)

> gratuitous, but you're not helping matters any by jumping up and down
> with your hair on fire.  By definition, your rantings won't reach first
> time posters who haven't lurked before asking their question, and one would
> think they'd be the worst offenders.

This is a good point, and one which even those who know this already
sometimes have to learn a couple of thousand times before it sticks.
There's something just so *irritating* about this that an angry
response is often the most enticing (albeit suboptimal) reaction. :)

> who haven't bothered to try to help themselves.  I find it much more producti
ve
> to reply in private to them suggesting places they might look for preliminary
> information than fuming over the whole thing for each such message that comes
> by.  Some people are repeat offenders; their mail gets sent to the bin and

Heh.  I might note that I've also found an even more productive method
since I get too many of these to even manage a short reply now: Just
whap `delete'.  Most folks who personally query me only to get no
response at all do, amazingly enough, either figure it out for
themselves shortly thereafter or figure out where to get that
kind of information without hassling somebody directly in email. :-)

- Jordan