Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2006 23:13:05 -0400
From:      Anthony Agelastos <iqgrande@gmail.com>
To:        Anish Mistry <amistry@am-productions.biz>, aaron.albright@hp.com
Cc:        asa@agava.com, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hpijs/hplip, foomatic-rip, and CUPS 1.2.0

--Apple-Mail-9--603673684
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

On Jul 22, 2006, at 9:32 PM, Anthony Agelastos wrote:
> On Jul 17, 2006, at 7:49 PM, Anish Mistry wrote:

>>> I do not remember if I created the user + group cups & hplip or if
>>> the system automatically did so for me. In any event, there are the
>>> following entries:
>> The hplip port automatically creates the user.  If you are using
>> hplip
>> then you shouldn't have ulpt in your kernel or be loading it as a
>> module.  eg.  You printer MUST attach as a ugen device.  Once it is
>> attaching as a ugen device you should run hp-setup to correctly
>> configure the printer via the HP utilities.
>>
>> If there is any confusion I'd suggest updating to 1.6.6a from the
>> following PR and following all the instructions in the pkg-message
>> from the PR as it explains everything you need to do to get hpluip up
>> and running correctly.
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=100413
>>

>> -- Anish Mistry
>> amistry@am-productions.biz
>> AM Productions http://am-productions.biz/
> I was finally able to get it to attach as a ugen device.
>
> dell# dmesg | grep ugen
> ugen0: Hewlett-Packard hp LaserJet 1160 series, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
>
> So, I entered the CUPS web administration and it knew about the
> printer and had a button to add that specific one, so I did. I
> chose the appropriate driver, and then it was installed. So, I
> printed a test page and it printed appropriately. So, I went to my
> laptop and printed something simple. It did not work. At this
> point, I took your advice above and ran hp-setup (as root of
> course). Below is what happened with that.
>
> <hp-setup>
> dell# hp-setup
>
> HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 0.9.11)
> Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 2.0
>
> Copyright (c) 2003-6 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
> This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
> under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.
>
> Using device: hp:/usb/hp_LaserJet_1160_series?serial=00CNG1R02434
>
> Setting up device: hp:/usb/hp_LaserJet_1160_series?serial=00CNG1R02434
>
> (Note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press
> <enter> to accept the default.)
>
> [ERROR]: Unsupported printer model.
> </hp-setup>
>
> So, I restarted the computer and reprinted the simple text file.
> Here is my lpstat info
> <lpstat -t>
> dell# lpstat -t
> scheduler is running
> no system default destination
> device for Create_PDF: cups-pdf:/
> device for hp_usb_hp_LaserJet_1160_series: hp:/usb/
> hp_LaserJet_1160_series?serial=00CNG1R02434
> Create_PDF accepting requests since Sun Jun 25 11:27:52 2006
> hp_usb_hp_LaserJet_1160_series accepting requests since Sat Jul 22
> 21:00:47 2006
> printer Create_PDF is idle.  enabled since Sun Jun 25 11:27:52 2006
> [...]
Hello all,

My posts have now been made @ freebsd.org, cups.org, and
hplip.sf.net. I am not sure which of those systems contains the
problem. In any event, in my quest to get my network print server
operational, I have tried several things.

1) I realized that my cupsd.conf file has not been changed since I
first had my network print server working (about one year ago). So, I
perused it and compared cupsd.conf to cupsd.conf.default and there
were some large differences. So, I decided to start fresh and

cp cupsd.conf.defaults cupsd.conf

and edit it via the web interface. In here, I checked the "Share
published printers connected to this system" and "Save debugging
information for troubleshooting" options. After this, I was able to
see the printer on my laptops. This takes me to item 2).

2) In trying to print from my laptops, I kept getting some generic
errors. So, I did some Googling and found the fix, which was to add
the ip address and hostname of the print server to my /etc/hosts file
on my Mac OS X boxen. I did this and it fixed this printing issue and
I ended up with the same "stopped at novalue" endgame. This takes me
to 3).

3) To ensure that the CUPS on my Mac laptops was not to blame, I
installed the latest (1.2.2) CUPS on it and tried printing and had
the same errors.

I am really running out of ideas in trying to fix this. Do any of you
know anybody who has a similar setup working so I can compare conf
files and system setup with them? I am willing to try anything
suggested on my server. What GNU/Linux distributions (and CUPS
versions) has hplip been tested against? I have my CUPS config files
attached to this message. At this point, I think we should assume
that every step I have done has been incorrect (or I missed one). If
I were to install FreeBSD from scratch, then install CUPS and hplip,
what steps do I have to take (step by step) to create my network
print server? Thank you so much for your assistance.

--Apple-Mail-9--603673684--