Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 23:52:39 +0000
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
To:        Ian Brown <ijbrown@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 802.1q VLAN Trunking

On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 12:01:31PM -0800, Ian Brown wrote:
> I've heard that 3.3 & 3.4 versions of FreeBSD support 802.1q and/or Cisco's
> ISL VLAN trunking protocols but I'm having trouble finding any documentation
> to support these claims.  I figure that VLAN type support must be supported
> directly in the Kernel and I would greatly appreciate if someone can provide
> me with any config details.  Also, I imagine that not all NIC cards support
> 802.1q or ISL (since they break the Ethernet size limit), so I'd also like
> to know what type/model of NIC cards have successfully been used in
> conjunction with these protocols...

There's some 802.1q support, but no ISL support yet.  I'm wanted to add
it myself, but as of yet I've not got my hands on the ISL documentation, even
though I've been promised it from two different sides of the world :(.

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser	FreeBSD: Take the red pill and we'll show you just how
Technical Manager	deep the rabbit hole goes. (http://www.uk.freebsd.org)