Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 17:39:37 PST
From:      "Jerry Lei" <tylei@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: about Netscape

Ryan,

Thank you for replying.

>What do you mean by "nothing"? Did you get any error messages? Do >you now
>see a file named "netscape.core" in the current directory? >If you really
>did see NOTHING and Netscape didn't dump core, you >have experienced a very
>strange phenomenon indeed.

A: There is an error message like "unknown command"

>Sounds like you may have successfully installed it already. You ARE
> >running X11, are you not? As Netscape is a graphical program by >nature,
>it requires a running X seat to function. If you installed >XFree86 when
>you installed the operating system, startx should get >you going.

A: I am not sure about the installation. That's the reason I ask.
I just pkg_add /cdrom/packages/www/communicator-4.61.tgz. I do have
activated X when I set command communicator-4.61.

>If you installed the ports distribution with the operating system,
> >installing an individual port is simple. If you have the -STABLE >ports
>installed: # cd /usr/ports/www/netscape47-communicator && make >all install
>Yes, you must do this as root. You may, however, RUN Netscape as a >normal
>user after it has been installed.

A: I don't understand the "-STABLE ports installed". Is that a parameter I
have to set when I set pkg_add or when I install port collection?
? Before "make all install", should I

foreach i (*)
ln -s cdrom/ports/distfiles/$i /usr/ports/disfiles/$i
end

let FreeBSD can reach source file? (I haven't connected FreeBSD to Internet
yet)

That's the part I don't understand. which steps are for installing packages:

1. install port tree
2. pkg_add desired packages
3. soft link source files(distfiles) of those packages
4. make; make install
5. done

or

1. install port tree
2. pkg_add desired packages
3. done

I used the latter and when I try to make, I believe it doesn't be made.