Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:02:33 -0800
From:      Scott Reese <sreese@codysbooks.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Netscape 6 Broken?

[note: please cc me in any reply as I am not subscribed to this list]

Hello all,

After happily using Linux Netscape 6 for a number of months, I've
recently begun having a very strange problem with it.  I will be
simply tooling along, browsing the web, when all of a sudden, Netscape
freezes.  GKrellM registers that all my free CPU cycles are suddenly
getting chewed, so I take a look at top and find a process called
'java_vm' is the culprit.  After I kill the process, Netscape closes
and I see the following output on the console:

borges[103] % netscape6
./run-mozilla.sh ./mozilla-bin
MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=.
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:./Cool
          LIBPATH=.:./Cool
       SHLIB_PATH=.:./Cool
      XPCS_HOME=./Cool
      MOZ_PROGRAM=./mozilla-bin
      MOZ_TOOLKIT=
        moz_debug=0
     moz_debugger=
 I am inside the initialize
 Hey : You are in QFA Startup
(QFA)Talkback loaded Ok.
linux: 'ipc' typ=258 not implemented
#
# HotSpot Virtual Machine Error, Internal Error
# Please report this error at
# http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi
#
# Error ID: 4F533F4C494E55580E43505002B9
#
# Problematic Thread:
INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not read ack from browser
System error?:: Resource temporarily unavailable

I made it crash this time by pointing it towards a site that uses
Flash.  However, I am not able to consistently cause this crash on any
particular page or activity.  I've searched through the list archives
and google and have found nothing to help me solve this.  I'm using
linux_base-7.1_2.  I'm running: 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #0: Thu
Mar  7 11:09:27 PST 2002.  Now, if I assume correctly, Netscape 6
comes with its own Java plug-in so the jdk version I'm running
shouldn't matter, right?  Anyone have any ideas on what I can do about
this?  Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks in Advance!
Scott