Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 07:30:36 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
Cc:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>, <FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   making sure ipf doesn't lock you out during rule changes (was Re: remote upgrade stops ssh connections)

On 5 Aug 2002 at 10:22, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>
> echo reboot | at +1hour
>
> would be an protective weapon (like reload in 10 minutes for remote
> Cisco, you know ;-)

That reminds me of this tip/trick I use when changing ipf rules:

ipf -s -Fa -f /etc/ipf.rules && sleep 10 && ipf -s

This swaps the active and inactive ruleset, flushes the active
ruleset, and then loads the rules from the specified file.   Then you
have 10 seconds to ensure that your ssh connection still works.  I
usually type a few characters, make sure they echo, then press
control C.  If you can't type anything, the rule sets will be swapped
again by the third command and you'll be left with the rule set you
originally started with.
--
Dan Langille
I'm looking for a computer job: