Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:34:52 +1100
From:      Stephen Ware <steve@inserted.net>
To:        sound byte <sound-byte1@home.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: my x (server)

Howdy,
I had the same problem with that card using X3.3.6 under linux a
few months back.
There is (or was) a binary only X server put out by S3, however it
was a linux binary. I hear the linux emulation is for freebsd is
pretty damned good, perhaps it will work.
It worked a dream for colour depth, but seemed to get narky at
resolution over 1024x768, although there's a good chance that this
was due to my monitor.
Give it a try, anyway.
https://archive:archive@ranger.s3.com/395drv/s3savage-1.0-13.tar.gz

Good luck,