Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 01:46:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <mitayai@dreaming.org>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
Cc:        Jason Lixfeld <carrera@idirect.com>, bsdi-users <bsdi-users@bsdi.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, info-bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: rc file discrepency

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> >I have FreeBSD 2.1.5 on my machine with only a dialup connection (Lame,
> >I know!)
>
> Lots of people run machines like this...
>
> >Since it is a dynamic IP, I'm looking to streamline my
> >configuration for the best results considering my dialup predicament.
> >I'm not sure wether to run routed, or gated,
>
> Don't run either.  You don't need to do anything with routes, if
> you're using ppp.  Just let ppp install the default route for you when
> it brings up a connection.
>
> >whether or not to use
> >resolf.conf or named or both, or wether I should setup my machine as a
> >DNS to see if that will make it hum.
>
> I run a mostly cache-only DNS (it actually thinks it's authoritative
> for my machines, but I have my own IP#s and domain names).
>
> You don't *need* to do this, though.  And running DNS isn't the
> simplest thing to learn.
>
> You want to put your machine's IP# (and any other close machines,
> which you know won't change IP#s) into /etc/hosts.  You want to put
> your ISPs nameservers into /etc/resolv.conf.  If you run local DNS,
> put that in there, too, as the first entry.

Just a note that in the /etc/resolv.conf, make sure that if you are
running a local nameserver, even just a caching one, the line required in
the nameserver line for it must be an IP address that is present at
bootup. Therefore, if you have not set an ifconfic/route pair for your ppp
connection in the /etc/syslog.conf, use 127.0.0.1 which should work fine.

thus, on my dad's machine, nightmare.dreaming.org:

#/etc/resolv.conf
domain dreaming.org
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 207.107.8.200 # dreamlabs main name server

-Mit

			Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe
			 The DreamLabs Network
		        http://www.dreaming.org