Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 05:18:48 +0100 (MET)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.hb.north.de>
To:        mark@quickweb.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.0.2 on FreeBSD

In article <Pine.BSF.3.94.961108153254.5871A-100000@vinyl.quickweb.com> you write:

>You can try out a "beta" version by grabbing jdk.1.0.2.tar.gz at
>ftp://frefall.freebsd.org/incoming
>
>I't quite good. The javac compiler seems perfect so far. The java
>interpreter isn't so hot however -- although the only problems I've
>really
>had with it are in the AWT (same problems as Linux exhibits - general AWT
>crappyness and inconsistency with the specification) and for some
>reason I can't seem to be able to open "ServerSocket" sockets..
>I get a "Resource temporarily Unavailable" exception.

I haven't tried that one but...

>And, like all Unix JKD's, it only runs in 8bpp or 24bpp. So 256 or
>16Million colors are it --> no 32K or 64K color modes. :-(

 ..the (linux) JDK 1.0.1something i've installed seems to run on 16bpp
just fine.  seems they have fixed at least this problem?

>I've been testing it quite hard, cause I think it will be important for
>FreeBSD to have FULL java support in the future, so take a look at it, and
>report bugs to hacker@freebsd.org. Note, however, that the port isn't
>officially supported by the author.
>

>Oh yeah, it also seems brutal slow at bringing up dialog windows. Not sure
>why! The multithreaded stuff also is VERY slow. Again, I've seen the
>same problems on the Linux port from Blackdown, so I'm guessing the
>FreeBSD port borrows heavily from it. I guess it's tricky to do threading
>on an OS that doesn't have threads (at least not in the kernel).

 thats true, especially code that uses /dev/(pc)audio seems to just
deadlock every once in a while. (again this is the linux JDK, haven't
tried the native port yet)

 just thought i'd mention...  cheers,
	Juergen