Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 00:53:22 -0500
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        "ekoz" <ekoz@melsa.net.id>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ps -aux

ekoz,

1. Ditch the HTML e-mails, most people on this list delete them.

2. Did you check the man page for ps(1)?  If you do you'll find this:

SYNOPSIS
     ps [-aCcefhjlmrSTuvwx] [-M core] [-N system] [-O fmt] [-o fmt] [-p pid]
        [-t tty] [-U username] [-W swap]
     ps [-L]
[...]
     -U      Display the processes belonging to the specified username.

3. Securing the box... gawd, where to begin...  There's got to be a faq out
there somewhere.

I would suggest the following (this is by no means complete):
a. Enable QUOTAs and configure them.
b. Enable a firewall of some sort, ifpw or ipfilters, lock it down
   and set it up stateful to make it more difficult for users to make
   use of listening (daemon/server) processes.  (e.g. starting their
   own irc server.)
c. Configure /etc/login.conf with some fairly restrictive limits,
   based on what you want your users to be able to do, and your system
   resources.  This will help cut down on one person eating up all your
   resources (cpu, memory, pids, etc..)
d. I would restrict /sbin, /usr/sbin from everyone but gid=operator, but
   that's just me, at the very least I wouldn't allow them to use
   ping/traceroute and the like.
e. Run something like jack-the-ripper to ferrit out simple, easily cracked
   passwords.

4. Remember to check all available resources (handbook, FAQ, mailing list
archives) before asking a question, there are alot of people who put alot of
hard work into documenting this great operating system.  Don't let it be in
vain.

http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html#books  <<-- where the docs are.

Also, check out: http://www.freebsddiary.org/

Hope this helps,