Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:06:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      jbarbee@singular.com (John Barbee)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mailbox hierarchy with Cyrus.

Hi,

	I'm going through the last phase of moving from a UW IMAP server
to cyrus, but I don't understand how the mailbox hierarchy is supposed to
work.  According to a piece of documentation at the Cyrus website inboxes
must be named user.userid and sub-folders must be named
user.userid.boxname.

	So, I went ahead and created a box called user.myself.  A
directory /var/spool/imap/user/myself was creatd and checking through
cyradm the mailbox's permissions defauled to myself all.  With Pine, I
checked the collections on the server and there was an INBOX. folder as
well as the INBOX folder.

	I did some further experiments with both Pine and Netscape
Messenger.  When I added a folder blahbox with either mail client a
directory /var/spool/imap/blahbox was created and checking through the
permissions on that box defaulted to anyone lrs.  Furthermore, in Pine a
dir blahbox. was created alongside of the blahbox mail folder.

	If I add mailboxes called user.myself.blahbox through cyradm, they
don't show up in the folder tree of my mail client.

	Is this what's supposed to happen?  Have I configured Cyrus
incorrectly? I can send a copy of my imapd.conf.  Should I be using other
mail clients instead?

please cc me.
tia
john.