Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 17:03:04 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: output in crontab

Roelof Osinga wrote:

> While porting some stuff from Linux I noticed that I can not redirect
> output from commands into a file. E.g.
>
> */3 * * * * date > stamp
>
> will not update the file. The manpage talks about BSD not being
> able to mail output, but fails to mention not handling output
> at all.

Which manpage is this? FreeBSD *can* mail output, and does by default if
any output is generated and not redirected elsewhere.

I suspect it is updating the file, but not where you expect it to be,
unless something has gone very wrong. Try doing something like

$ find / -name stamp -mtime -1

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk