Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 14:20:12 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0-RELEASE (March 20) hangs at atapci0

My super el-cheapo (even 4 years ago) UMC chipset (UM8881F is the
only chip I can easily see) VIP PCI/VL MB with AMD 5x86/133 doesn't
like the 4.0-RELEASE kernel. Initially I had no ATA/IDE devices
attached and both IDE disabled in the AMI WinBIOS. Booting the
4.0-RELEASE floppies hangs at the ataide0 probe.

Added an old 487MB IDE HD. 4.0-RELEASE still hangs.

This is the retyped message off the screen:

atapci0 <unknown PCI ATA controller (generic mode)> port
0xfff0-0xfff3, 0xffe0-0xffe7, 0x374-0x377, 0x170-0x177 device 18.1 on
pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0

Its been there for at least 30 minutes.

Didn't work with IDE disabled in the BIOS (FreeBSD still probed the
hardware and ports).

Didn't work with IDE disabled in the bios and both IDE disabled in
the full screen kernel config.

Didn't work with IDE enabled in BIOS with HD attached.

Didn't write until I searched the mail lists and re-read ERRATA.TXT,
HARDWARE.TXT, INSTALL.TXT, and TROUBLE.TXT.

Where to next? Suspect that "unknown PCI ATA controller" above is the
key to my problems.
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net