Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2000 21:21:50 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "William Freeman" <dfree@inna.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IDE CD-RW

>Could anyone tell me how, or direct me to information that will tell me
>how to get an IDE CD-RW up on 3.4-STABLE or what not?  i just bought a
>burner, so i've never had to worry about this, and i've looked
>everywhere i could think of.

I just went through this myself...

1.    If you don't already have support in your kernel for ATAPI drives, you
need to add that and recompile your kernel:

        options         "CD9660"                #ISO 9660 Filesystem
        options         "CD9660_ROOT"           #CD-ROM usable as root.
"CD9660" req'ed
        options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
        options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
        device          acd0            #IDE CD-ROM

2.    Install mkisofs from the ports collection
(/usr/ports/sysutils/mkisofs). Use this to create an ISO file image of the
directory tree you want to burn to the CD, similar to:

        # mkisofs -d -N -D -L -R -T -o <cdimage.iso> <directory tree>

3.    Insert blank media into your CD-RW drive (assume it's acd0) and do
this:

        # wormcontrol -f/dev/racd0c prepdisk double
        # wormcontrol -f/dev/racd0c track data
        # dd if=<cdimage.iso> of=/dev/racd0c bs=20k
        # wormcontrol -f/dev/racd0c fixate 1 onp

Also, see the example scripts in /usr/share/examples/atapi and
/usr/share/examples/worm.

Have fun!

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!