Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 04:52:00 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramidi@otenet.gr>
To:        Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
Cc:        Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>, hackers list <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to disable software TCP checksumming?

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 03:52:12PM -0500, Bob Willcox wrote:

| and may prevent the upper layers from checking the CRC on input.

There are good reasons why checksumming in upper layers should not be disabled
even if some lower layer does checksumming of its own.  I recall reading some
good points on this one at "TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume I" from (now late)
Richard W. Stevens.

In fact, this is exactly what the sysctl knob net.inet.udp.checksum is there
for.  The knob having a default value of 1 (checksumming enabled), means that
checksumming is used.

If you do change checksumming in TCP, please provide a similar knob for that
protocol, and have it set to a default of 1 (still enabled).  This way if
someone feels comfortable to have checksums disabled in TCP, or some higher
layer, they can still do it, but the default behavior is the good ole' FreeBSD
we all know and love.

--giorgos