Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 13:40:51 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@inpharmatica.co.uk>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: serial probs in 4.0

J McKitrick wrote:

> I don't know if this will help anyone, but i did 2 things that *might
> have solved the serial problem on my machine.  I just deleted the cuaa
> devices and remade them.  My serial port modem ended up on cuaa4,
> which was strange, but at least it worked.  Then, when i removed
> everything after sio0 from the kernel config, the modem showed up at
> cuaa1, where it used to be under 3.4.  I don't know if this is what
> solved my problem, but it's worth a shot if you are still having
> problems.  I had the *exact* same thing... it opened under term, and
> accepted keystrokes, but didn't answer to AT commands.

I saw pretty much the same thing: under 4.0 my PnP modem card ended up as
/dev/sio4, whereas under 3.4 it had always appeared as /dev/sio2.  The problem
seems to be that userconfig (ie. boot -c) no-longer understands the 'pnp ...'
command, so you can't override the PnP configuration of the card any more.  My
solution was to delete the lines:

device          sio2    at isa? disable port IO_COM3 irq 5
device          sio3    at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9

from the kernel config, after which the PnP autoconfiguration did the right
thing.  Examine your dmesg output: it will make it clear if you've got a
dysfunctional /boot/kernel.conf script.

	Matthew

--
           Certe, Toto, sentio nos in Kansate non iam adesse.

   Dr. Matthew Seaman, Inpharmatica Ltd, 60 Charlotte St, London, W1P 2AX
            Tel: +44 171 631 4644 x229  Fax: +44 171 631 4844