Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2000 06:12:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Speeding up Samba on Cyrix 586/fbsd3.2

I find Samba 2.0.6 on a Cyrix 586 with 32MB RAM and IDE drives can't
deliver files to LAN machines via Samba as fast as a Windows 95 486 box
can.  I've tried tinkering with socket options but gained nothing
measurable.  I was about to replace the box with a P100 running FreeBSD
4.1, but the box I was going to use is looking a bit flaky inasmuch as it
booted DOS maybe two times out of seven tries last night. :-(

So... I'm wondering if anyone knows how much I could gain speedwise by
recompiling Samba 2.0.6 (or 2.0.7 if I can get a port that works under
FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE for it) with -O*.  I'm also not sure how much
optimizing is safe for Samba.  I would try all this myself except (1) this
is a production machine with a (temporary, if I can help it!) shortage of
free disk space, and (2) I have been unable to grab a Samba 2.0.[67] port
to compile for some reason.

More miscellaneous info:  fbsd/Windows speed comparison was done on a
10BaseT LAN.  The Win95 server could serve a 12MB .avi file fast enough
for any LAN machine to play it without break-up, whereas the fbsd machine
fell far short of this and also caused small gaps in MP3 file playing (a
much lower bit rate there).  My home P90 has no problem at all serving the
.avi or .MP3 files fast enough to play.  I tried running the fbsd machine
with no firewall for some of the tests to prove that ipfw was not the
culprit, but I still had to run natd because the fbsd box hands out
private DHCP addresses for the LAN machines.  I did not alter any sysctl
settings affecting packet size and such (though I wonder if I could
improve matters that way...).

Thanks in advance for any help.  I'd really rather get a faster box, but
the P100 isn't looking reliable, and a recent roof cave-in here more or
less squashed any managerial interest in funding hardware
replacements.

--
Doug Lee
dgl@visi.com