Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2006 18:04:04 -0400
From:      stan <stanb@panix.com>
To:        Bob Hall <rjhjr@cox.net>, Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Top behavior differences

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 11:57:05AM -0400, Bob Hall wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 08:56:31AM -0400, stan wrote:
> > Can someone explain to me why top's handling of multi processor
> > status display is different on FreeBSD, than it is on Linux?
>
> Open source started with the concept of individuals hacking the source
> code to get the features they want. The commericial ideal of users paying
> for features they want was replaced by the ideal of users doing the work
> to create the features they want. Open source has evolved into the
> concept of many users getting a free ride as a relatively small number
> of open source programmers do the work for them, without pay.
>
> Possible reasons why open source software X doesn't have feature Y:

 -- Long discussion of open source philosophy dleted ---

Once upon a time, when people posted on lists like this, they got
well reasoned technical answers.

The question I was really asking, is if there is a technical
reason for this difference (eg difernt sturctures for obatining
the information in the 2 OS's). The reason that i feel this is
an apropriate place to ask such a question, is that top is NOT
a port, but is provided by the base OS in FreeBSD.

(Dennis Ritchie)