Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2002 10:43:37 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        Rashim Gupta <guptar@cs.rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booting multiple kernels

--95CBLwa+io9O2zXc

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 08:52:07PM -0800, Nate Lawson wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Rashim Gupta wrote:
> > I have a machine to which I remotely log in and do
> > kernel programming. It has two kernel versions - one is WORKING and the
> > other is TEST - the one I am presently working on. Is it possible that
> > the bootloader tries to first load TEST but in case TEST panics then
> > it loads the WORKING version of kernel without user intervention ? My
> > initial guess would be to use loader scripts. Any suggestions?
>=20
> man 8 reboot, esp. -k option.

Errr... if I'm reading the original message right, then reboot -k is
exactly the opposite of what Rashim is asking for - if the wording of
the -stable manual page is correct.  According to the manual page, if we
try reboot -k TEST, and it fails, the system will keep trying to boot
TEST until somebody walks up to the machine and manually changes the
booted kernel by interrupting the loader.  I believe this is not quite
what Rashim asked for...

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
=2Esiht ekil ti gnidaer eb d'uoy ,werbeH ni erew ecnetnes siht fI

--95CBLwa+io9O2zXc

--95CBLwa+io9O2zXc--