Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 02:15:02 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Abbas Karbassian x7148 <Abbas.Karbassian@cambridge.simoco.com>
Cc:        dj_elvis@bigpond.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: running a.out

Abbas Karbassian x7148 wrote:

> add the followings
>

> set path = (. and the rest of you path)

Do not do this. If you must have "." in your path, put it last:

set path = (the rest of your path and .)

So if you type "ls" in, say, "/tmp", you don't run a program another
user could have prepared which actually runs "rm -rf $HOME". Even then,
you could still mis-type a command (e.g. I've been known to mistype "ps
ax" as "psa x"), and you could run someone else's program. I'd recommend
you just don't have "." in your path, you'll soon get used to typing
"./" before commands.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and