Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 01:09:43 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Kathy Quinlan <katinka@magestower.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Natd errors

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 09:59:02AM +0800, Kathy Quinlan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an error coming up on my server, it has only started occurring since
> I put natd up (funny that)

Well, it would really have been something if you had been getting
errors from natd(8) when you were not running it.

> The error is as follows:
> Feb 22 10:00:05 serverbsd natd[104]: failed to write packet back (Permission
> denied)
> Feb 22 10:00:36 serverbsd last message repeated 3 times
>
> and at random intervials, I get up to 40 of these at once.
>
> Any ideas if any further info is needed I can supply :o)

These messages are produced when a translated packet is dropped later
in the firewall rules after being processed by natd(8). It is,
generally speaking, Not A Good Thing (but not a terribly Bad Thing
either). It most often implies that you are either denying replies
that were added to the NAT table on the way out or that you are doing
some type of redirect and doing the filter after natd. In the first
case, you are allowing traffic out, but not letting in the replies
back. You probably should be blocking the outgoing traffic in the
first place. In the second case, you are better off filtering all you
can before natd for both security and performance reasons.