Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 1999 07:11:14 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        "Michael J. Ruhl" <mruhl@cisco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X servers through Network Address Translation

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Michael J. Ruhl wrote:

> I am trying to display windows from other machines (from my office at
> work) to my FreeBSD box at home. (I understand about setting the display
> and xhost, and stuff).
>
> The issue is that my FreeBSD box is connected to the network via an
> ISDN router that is doing Network Address Translation.

{...}

Two approaches come to mind.

1) convince your router to proxy the X ports (6000?) back into your
translated machine's IP.  I think I've seen reference to being able to do
this with NATD; whether your Cisco can I haven't the faintest idea....

2) IIRC, ssh has some support for back channelling X traffic through its
encrypted socket connection.  If this is viable, it gets you the bonus of
security of login to your work system, as well as fixing your basic
problem.  You do need to be in a position to install sshd on your work
system.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba..gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia