Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 03:07:04 -0400
From:      Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        Alexander Werner Skwar <askwar@DigitalProjects.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing exim and removing sendmail

hmm...I can anser a couple of these...

At 08:46 AM 4/28/00 +0200, Alexander Werner Skwar wrote:
>Hello!
>As I don't quite understand the configuration of sendmail and don't
>really want to learn how sendmail is to be configured, I'd like to
>install exim as the MTA on my system.
>What do I need to do to
>
>- disable sendmail -> is it enough, when I insert a line
>sendmail_enable=no to my /etc/rc.conf?

I believe so...

>- remove sendmail -> which package contains sendmail?  I grepped through
>the listing of pkg_info -La for /usr/sbin/sendmail, and did not find
>anything at all.

Im not so sure that completely removing it would be absolutely
necessary.  Just find the binary(ies) (sometimes in /usr/sbin and /usr/lib)
and chmod 0 /path/to/sendmail.  But you definitely definitely need to make
sure you chmod the binary as something besides 4555 (which is what it is)

>- install exim 3.13 -> I downloaded exim-3.13.tgz from ftp.freebsd.org
>and pkg_add'ed it.  That was a pretty easy step ;-)
>
>- enable exim 3.13 -> Okay, I found /usr/local/etc/rc.d/exim.sh.  How do
>I make sure that this script is executed at boot time?  Would I create a
>/etc/rc.local and insert a call to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/exim.sh there?
>Would that be enough?  This question also applies to MySQL which seems
>to be started thru /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh.

This will automagically run at boot time as long as its executable.  There
is no need to edit anything else...the mere fact that that script is where
it is will be ok. (one of the rc.files runs all the scripts in that
directory that are executable)

- Jim

>Thanks for your help!
>
>Oh, almost forgot to mention: I'm using FreeBSD 4.0.
>
>Alexander Skwar
>--
>Homepage:       http://www.digitalprojects.com
>Sichere Mail?   PGP/GnuPG Keys als Antwort auf Mail mit Betr: Get GPG Key
>ICQ:            7328191

Today's errors, in contrast:
Windows - "Invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at 0032:A16F2935"
UNIX  - "segmentation fault - core dumped"
Humanous Beingsus - "OOPS, I've fallen and I can't get up"