Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 1999 02:11:58 +0100
From:      Carsten Lellek <clellek@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dynamic ip address

Hi!

In "The complete FreeBSD" Greg Lehey describes the user- and kernel-ppp's
idle timeout feature as one of the major disadvantages in the use of dynamic
ip addresses because after a timeout has happened no new connection with a
new IP address can be established. (on the bottom of page 445)

On my FreeBSD box I am able to comprehend this behavior but I don't
understand it. Using ifconfig -a during a second connection shows the ppp0
interface with the correct ip address and also netstat -rn shows a routing
table which seems to be OK.

Has anyone an explanation why it doesn't work? Greg writes that only the
phone link is disconnected and there are still TCP connections but theses
sessions would get a timeout or new sessions could be started.

Thanks for your help.

Greetings
Carsten

Gruss