Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 1996 15:36:54 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone seen this bug in inn?

"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote in message ID
<29314.835282484@time.cdrom.com>:
> It only happens often enough to drive me crazy.. :-)

I thought you were already ? *GRIN*

> Symptoms are that the rebuild of active fails (I'm guessing) and the
> active.old file isn't renamed back to active, so then you're running
> without an active file and news is unhappy until you go manually move
> it back.  It seems that you should be trying to create the new active
> file as active.new or something and moving it over, I dunno!  The
> current behavior certainly seems broken.

It is.

> Anyone else seen this?  I've got plenty of disk space in the
> paritition in question and it only happens occasionally, leading me to
> believe that the rebuild is simply failing due to some internal error
> rather than external conditions.

My guess is that the active file is becomming corrupted and hence when
expire runs (and rebuilds active as it goes with new article min/max
numbers) it runs across the corruption and barfs. It would be nice to
see if there was anything helpful in /var/log/news/expire.log or
/var/log/news/errlog after one of these failures.

You shouldn't suffer TOO much damage tho, since you are pulling the
old copy of active over to replace the missing one (I'm guessing here
tho, I'm not really sure what effects that'll have ... it may be worth
doing a ctlinnd renumber)

Gary