Date:      Tue, 02 Jul 1996 19:07:21 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Atsushi MURAI <amurai@spec.co.jp>
Cc:        nao@sbl.cl.nec.co.jp, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernet 3c579(EISA) is functional?

>:controller      eisa0
>:device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 vector epintr
>:           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>:
>:The underlined portion of the line is not even needed if you are
>:going to attach an eisa device.  It should properly retrieve all of
>:that information during the eisa probe.
>
>I thought ep dirver is a functional and accept same configuration syntax
>as same as bt driver on eisa bus subsystem working perfectly even just
> write "device bt0".....

If you have eisa0 and only attach to eisa bt devices, device bt0 will
work fine.  If you don't have eisa0 and you use the ISA declaration,
it will be attached via the ISA probe which is more invasive then the
EISA equivalent.

>By the way, how do I set/know a port value of isa instead of an eisa port
>number ? I can't find any isa port selection with 3c579 window on eisa
>configuration utiliy...

You see, the bt cards on EISA are slightly brain-dead.  They use an ISA
port address when an EISA port address would have worked fine.  The 3c579
doesn't have this problem, so the port address is dictated by the EISA
slot you stick it into.  If you stick the card in slot 5, the address will
be 0x5000 - 0x5??? (I don't recall how big the window is for the 3c579
off hand