Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 19:23:33 -0600
From:      "Alejandro Ramirez" <ales@megared.net.mx>
To:        "Michael Kennett" <mike@laurasia.com.au>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Sendmail relaying problem

Hi,

> ...if the access.txt/.db files are a good way to do relaying, then I'm
> willing to learn more about it!
>
> I've just checked the FreeBSD sendmail.cf, and it has the line (along with
> a bunch of rewriting rules):
>
>   Kaccess hash -o /etc/mail/access
>
> The OpenBSD sendmail.cf doesn't have this directive.
> (They both have the FR-o /etc/mail/relay-domains directive).
>
> What are the differences between these methods of relaying?

    The /etc/mail/relay-domains, its the right place to allow relay in
sendmail, you can use hostnames, domain names, and IP Addresses, in sendmail
8.9.3, its enabled by default.

The /etc/mail/acces file its used specially to control acces instead of
relaying, you can relay with this file, but thats what is
/etc/mail/relay-domains its made for. you can enable the acces feature with
the following line in your m4 config file:

FEATURE(access_db)

and you create the file access.txt and add things like this:

xxxhotel.com REJECT
abc@xxxdomain.com REJECT
host5.domain.com RELAY
host.domain.com DISCARD

to reject mail, to relay mail, or to discard mail silently (accept it and
discard it).

but you have to:
makemap hash acces < access.txt

in order to work.