Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2013 13:00:34 -0600
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>, Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>, Matthew Fleming <mdf@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Building with gcc?

--Qz2CZ664xQdCRdPu

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 07:57:52AM -0700, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-11-25 at 08:36 -0500, Glen Barber wrote:
> > >=20
> > > WITHOUT_CLANG and WITHOUT_CLANG_IS_CC were decoupled in r256915 by br=
ooks:
> > >=20
> > > "Stop conflating WITHOUT_CLANG with WITHOUT_CLANG_IS_CC.  This allows
> > > bootstrapping a copy of clang without building clang for the base sys=
tem
> > > which is useful for nanobsd and similar setups.  It's still probably
> > > wrong to conflate what is installed as /usr/bin/cc with the selection
> > > of a bootstrap compiler under WITH*_CLANG_IS_CC, but that's for anoth=
er
> > > day."
> > >=20
> > > I would still say that WITHOUT_CLANG implies that you cannot have cla=
ng
> > > as cc, so maybe it would be better to error out in this case?
> > >=20
> >=20
> > Yes, that is what I meant by not having a reasonable explanation why.
> > If WITHOUT_CLANG is set, WITHOUT_CLANG_IS_CC should (as it was before)
> > be implied.
> >=20
> > Glen
> >=20
>=20
> In a cross-build situation, you should be able to specify
> WITH_CLANG_IS_CC and WITHOUT_CLANG and you get a system that is
> cross-compiled for the target by clang, but clang itself is not
> cross-compiled and installed onto the target.  (I'm not sure that
> actually works yet, but I think that's the intention.)

That is the intention as expressed in the commit log.  Users of systems
like nanobsd or consumers like NetFlix want to build with the standard
compiler which currently that means bootstrapping clang, but they have
no interest in installing it on the host platform as it's a waste of
space and build time.

> The names involved are confusing, but the concept makes sense.

As the commit log says, it would make sense to break WITH*_CLANG_IS_CC
into WITH*_CLANG_IS_CC and something like WITH*_CROSS_COMPILER_IS_CLANG,
that name also sucks so it wasn't the issue I was trying to address at
the time.

Yes, the names suck, but I didn't invent them.  There should probably be
some hierarchy in the names so things that effect _what_ is built (most
of the options) are clearly differentiated from things that effect _how_
things are built.

-- Brooks

--Qz2CZ664xQdCRdPu

--Qz2CZ664xQdCRdPu--