Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:36:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        roelof@eboa.com (Roelof Osinga)
Cc:        jdp@polstra.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup: a newbie's tale.

Roelof Osinga wrote,
> John Polstra wrote:
> >
> > I'm sorry, but I disagree with that proposal.  In Unix it has always
> > been understood that "the name" of a file means "whatever it takes to
> > reference it from your current working directory."  (For that matter,
> > the same assumption holds even under DOS or Windows.)  That's assumed
> > in all of the manual pages -- see cat(1) or ls(1), for example.
>
> I love it when they fight back ;). Granted in so far we're talking
> about just any ol' file. But we're not. At this stage (in the manual
> as well as the process) we are configuring. As such we're dealing with
> configuration files. You know... the things Unix traditionally
> stores in /etc <g>. The archetypical /etc/rc springs to mind. Heck,
> even DOS and its GUI Windows expect their configutation files to
> be at well-known locations like the root of the C disk or in the
> Windows installation directory. In that it is indeed just like Unix,
> for does not even X look for its configuration files in well-known
> locations?

You might have an argument if the supfile was a configuration file
that was referenced by default when no command line argument is
presented. HOWEVER, the supfile argument is _required_ on the
command line. Since it is always specified, defining a default
location for it seems extraneous and unnecessary.