Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 15:25:08 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
Cc:        Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Open Source Town Meeting" supports only one faction

At 02:17 PM 7/21/98 -0700, Jason Evans wrote:

>The 'Open Source' brand has rapidly become just another case of
>doublespeak.  'Open Source' advocates overwhelmingly rally around Linux,
>and even though the official definition of 'Open Source' encompasses
>efforts such as FreeBSD, we're not walking the 'straight and narrow' path
>that is the main thrust of 'Open Source' advocates such as Eric Raymond.
>Just take a dose of reality along with the 'Open Source' movement's
>'idealism'. =)

Actually, FSF doesn't support the concept of "Open Source" at all.
That's what's so ironic. Here you have a conference called the "Open
Source Town Hall" donating its proceeds to a group that openly and
repeatedly denigrates the concept of "Open Source"
on its Web site.

Look at the page

http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

and see for yourself.

Since the Free Software Foundation does not support the concept
of "Open Source," it is antithetical to the purpose of an "Open Source"
conference to force attendees to contribute money to it. This is a major
faux pas for which O'Reilly should be remonstrated soundly.

It is not appropriate to ask supporters of the Open Source concept
to donate to a group that openly and strongly opposes it. I think
that Jordan, as a speaker, should point this out -- and we should
all send e-mail, too. Good people to mail at O'Reilly might be
Tim O'Reilly (tim@oreilly.com) and Sara Winge, the publicity
person (sara@oreilly.com).

--Brett