Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:53:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@Danovitsch.dnsq.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No FM synthesizer in PCI soundblasters?

greets Daan;

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a FreeBSD machine that's playing music via it's SoundBlaster PCI128.
> I want to create some beep's with it, during the music, through the soundcard.

and you'd think that'd be easy, right?

> Opening /dev/midi0 or /dev/sequencer0 just gives "Device not configured".
> And opening /dev/dsp0 and trying for example ioctl "SNDCTL_SYNTH_INFO", gives
> me "Invalid argument".

well, frankly we aint actually got none o' those :-). i just read that
there is one card that actually supports midi. i need to go rediscover
which one, because i am gonna hack that to work on *my* card :-)

> Is my PCI-soundcard just not equipped with a FM synthesizer, or am I missing
> something here?

it's got one, but it's not hooked up in the way you'd expect.

> What I am trying to do is playing short tones while some other program is
> playing sound. If there is any other way to do this, other than in-software
> mixing the two streams (music & tones) into one, I would like to know how :)

the problem is that the sound hardware is not virtualized by default. it's
actually sort of like DOS in this respect. when one process get's
/dev/dsp, it doesnt share.

*however*, there is a solution. this is exactly the problem that esd ( the
enlightenment sound daemon ) and artsd was written to solve.

the problem with this is that a sound app has to be written to use the
daemon and not the device, so if your app's of choice dont grok your sound
daemon of choice, you are SOL.

it occurs to me that devfs might actually solve this problem in an elegant
and beauteous way, but i dont know *anything* about devfs, so i am just
making this stuff up :-)

--

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life