Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:59:20 +0200
From:      "Torfinn Ingolfsen" <torfinn.ingolfsen@oslo.online.no>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problem with xe driver and (cheap) 10 / 100 switch

Hi,
I'm using the xe driver on a laptop which have a Compaq Netelligent
10/100 PC Card(CPQ-10/100) (and FreeBSD 4.2-release).
It has worked flawlessly for a while connected to a standard 10
Mbps hub. Recently I replaced the hub with a cheap, unmanaged &
autodetecting switch (CNet CNSH-800). After that, FreeBSD on the
laptop will not communicate with the network no matter what I try
(unfortunately, I don't have the hub anymore). I know the switch
works, because I tried to boot the laptop into another OS, and the
laptop would talk to the network (I had to change the network card
from auto to 10 Mbps) without problems.
I thought I would try to set the media in FreeBSD, with
'ifconfig xe0 media 10baset/utp' (I've tried to do this in the
pccard_ifconfig variable in /etc/rc.conf as well), but that doesn't
help. ifconfig reports that the media is changed, but the "link
integrity" LED on the network adapter stays orange (instead of
green, which it is when the card is working). I also tried 'ifconfig xe0
media autoselect' but that didn't help either. Also, I tried to add
"mediaopt half-duplex", but then I just got an error message saying
"... device not configured" (this is probably ok, since the driver
doesn't support full duplex).
One difference I noticed, is that when I set the media type with
ifconfig, I get many more of the "xe0: watchdog timeout; resetting
card" messages. before (when using the hub) I always got one or
two of these each time I booted FreeBSD.
I have checked what irq the card uses in the other OS (irq 10), and
changed that in /etc/pccard.conf (originally FreeBSD used irq 3)
but the card behaves as badly then as before.
Buying a new card for the laptop isn't an option right now.
Any suggestions on how to make this card work?
Or how to force it to run in 10 Mbps, half-duplex?
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway