Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 09:33:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up:  block devices to disappear!

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

I checked the header, this seemed to be sent to the hackers list.  I am
moving it to current, cause it seems more reasonable.

> Unless compelling evidence to the contrary is presented, I will remove
> blockdevices as a concept from FreeBSD RSN.
>
> In the future all devices will be character devices, and mounts will
> happen using these as well.
>
> Adequate compatibility code will be provided.

Regarding removing the block devices, Poul, how come?  I'm not arguing
with you, I just don't understand why one of the most basic features of
all unixes I've ever seen are being removed, and I'd appreciate an
explanation so that I don't have to be so completely clueless about this
rather startling change.

I'd also appreciate letting me know about the compatibility stuff you
mentioned ... does that mean I don't have to make any changes to my
system in order to survive this change?  Else, what do I have to do?

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).