Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 23:13:08 +0100 (BST)
From:      Scot Elliott <scot@online.barbour-index.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS mount types (was Re: make buildworld over NFS)

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> >server comes back up, even if it is next year.
> Of course, if the server is never coming back, you'll need to reboot the
> client to recover - I've gotten caught a couple of times testing with
> temporary machines.

I use NFS for one or two home directories (via the Auto-Mounter).  I've
had some big problems even with soft mounts when the NFS server dies (it
usually seems to die on a Friday afternoon for some reason - hense being
down the whole weekend)... and then my login machine fills up with CRON
jobs for my login users.  Nightmare.  I don't think I've ever recover
without rebooting the client when then server comes back up.

Scot.

Scot Elliott (scot@poptart.org)			|    Work: +44 (0)171 7046777
PGP fingerprint: FCAE9ED3A234FEB59F8C7F9DDD112D |    Home: +44 (0)181 8961019