Date:      Tue, 9 May 1995 23:12:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wes Santee <wsantee@wsantee.oz.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Self-professed sendmail weenie needs help

I thought I had this problem licked, but it looks like I've failed
miserably.

Earlier today Rod Grimes reported that my return address wasn't
tacking on the FQDN for my address when sending mail out.  After
further inspection, I noticed that this was only happening when my PPP
(and therefore DNS) link wasn't up.  Taking Rod's advice, I looked in
my /etc/hosts file and make sure that my hosts entry listed the FQDN
of the host first, i.e.:

204.118.240.207	wsantee.oz.net wsantee

I thought that solved the problem, but when I got home from work and
did some tests that allowed me to bring the link down, the same thing
happened when sending mail.  More specifically, the From: header ends
up looking like this: