Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 12:22:45 -0600
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, grog@FreeBSD.ORG, fs@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tuning a VERY heavily (30.0) loaded server

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 09:50:51AM -0800, Matt Dillon scribbled:
|     One thing that comes to mind is that you can smarthost your outgoing
|     email to another host so the queues don't build up.  This should
|     greatly reduce mail load.  In fact, I would recommend offloading email
|     entirely if possible... email always hits disks hard.
|
|     Definitely get rid of MFS.  MFS wastes 2x the memory allocated to it.
|     Use a softupdates-enabled filesystem in place of MFS, or use a
|     swap-backed VN-based partition with softupdates enabled.

|     Alfred's vmiodirenable suggestion is a good one.
|
|     With all the memory you have you can also try turning off write_behind,
|     e.g. setting vfs.write_behind to 0.

done. :) Thank you
|     I don't have enough information on the type of paging your machine
|     is doing or the disk configuration.  If you have multiple HD's, swap
|     should definitely be spread across at least two of them.
|
|     A few minutes worth of 'vmstat 1' output during the heavily loaded
|     period would be useful, plus 'sysctl -a | fgrep vm'.  I might be able

sysctl -a always crashes the system.  It happens on other similiarly
loaded BBS'es in Taiwan.

|     to make suggestions on optimizing the VM system.

We have 'vmstat 5' available at http://zoo.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~keichii/
Fresh hot vmstat 1 log at
http://zoo.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~keichii/vmstat_1.log