Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 95 09:56:57 CDT
From:      imdave@ihats103.ih.att.com
To:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org

Hi,

I'm having a problem with pppd (running the Apr snap).  I use kermit to
establish the connection (USR sportster modem, connect @ 28800) and then
start pppd.  This much works... I can ping & telnet & rlogin & ftp etc.
The problem is that ftp/telnet/rlogin is abysmally slow.  The options
MODEM & CTSRTS (/etc/ppp/options) seem to have no effect on the problem.
I can watch the modem leds: when I ping I see blip, blip, etc.  When
I've rlogin'ed and do a ls, there are extremely long periods of
no activity on the modem (and of course this is the problem.)
The funny thing is that I can stop pppd, go back to kermit (which I
had suspended after making the initial connection) and using the
*same* connection to the ISP (no re-dial) call up the menu to `telnet'
to a host.  (I think this option connects me to a terminal server
from which the telnet takes place.)  This connection works!  So
it seems that there is no problem with my modem setup (it's the
factory default, works with dos, etc.)  It's only the use of pppd
that introduces the problem.

SO... is/was there a known problem with pppd from the Apr. snap?

Since I can't get this to work, I'm unable to grab either the
latest snap or 2.0.5 (although I could get the CDROM.)  But aren't
there problems acessing SCSI tapes on 2.0.5?

Thanks,

Dave Bodenstab
imdave@ihats1.ih.att.com