Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 12:47:45 +0100
From:      "Rob" <rob@robhulme.com>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions@Freebsd. Org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Is my FTP hacked?

> I think someone may have hacked into my ftp... I've got this line in my
> /var/log/messages
>
> "Jul  5 10:03:50 www ftpd[8728]: /etc/pwd.db: No such file or
> directory"...
>
> is there any way I can see what account they logged in as and so
> on? or has
> something else happened?
>
> I've disabled FTP for the moment....
OK - false alarm it seems... I used 'last' to track down who the user was at
10:03... I've talked to him and he said he was just uploading some files
(for one of our websites)... I trust him, so I guess we weren't trying to be
hacked - but what happened to cause this error?

If I look at passwd.db with pico /etc/pwd.db it has what looks like a load
of garbage on the first line...
then:

#
# List of acceptable shells for chpass(1).
# Ftpd will not allow users to connect who are not using
# one of these shells.

/bin/sh
/bin/csh
/nonexistent

then the last line looks like a load of the usernames on the system followed
by a *lot* of ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ symbols...

What is going on ? :)

-Rob

--------------------------------
http://www.robhulme.com
http://www.christianunion.org.uk

"May the forks be with us." - Blue Raja (Mystery Men)

Everything you've learned in school as "obvious" becomes less and less
obvious as you begin to study the universe.
For example, there are no solids in the universe.
There's not even a suggestion of a solid. There are no absolute
continuums.
There are no surfaces. There are no straight lines.
---- R. Buckminster Fuller