Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 1996 10:01:42 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Cc:        alk@Think.COM (Tony Kimball)
Subject:   Re: perl4

As Tony Kimball wrote:

> ./bin/makewhatis: a /usr/bin/perl script text
> ./bin/catman: a /usr/bin/perl script text
> ./bin/killall: a /usr/bin/perl script text
> ./bin/sgmlfmt: a /usr/bin/perl script text
> ./bin/which: a /usr/bin/perl script text
> ./sbin/adduser: a /usr/bin/perl script text
> ./sbin/kbdmap: a /usr/bin/perl script text
> ./sbin/vidfont: a /usr/bin/perl script text
> ./sbin/spkrtest: a /usr/bin/perl script text
>
> Not much.  Eliminate it, and that reduces the installed base OS size
> by 4MB, meaning more installations, more market share, better
> differentiation from bloated commercial systems.

Yuck.  Nobody is eager in replacing them.  Doing regexp and string
operations in C is the least one does volunteerily, given that nice
tools like Perl are available for it.  It's not only that these things
must be written (which you was kindly offering), they also must be
*maintained*.

I've recently written a 700-line Perl script that implements a mini
Webserver.  Nobody in the world would have made me writing this sort
of things in C...

--
cheers, J"org