Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 14:00:50 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Forcing umask values (i.e. stopping users from making files world accessible)?

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 04:23:38PM +0200, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm wondering whether there is any way to truly stop users (they have
> (s)FTP access, CGI, PHP) from making their scripts world accessible.
> I know that I could set umask 027 so that all new files are 750 by
> default but as far as I understand the umask concept, they still can
> call chmod and make the files world accessible again, right? So I'm
> looking for a bullet proof solution that really stops users from
> making their data world accessible.

I suspect you are trying to go too far. If a user wants to share
something with another user then by golly they will email it or find
some way to share it. After all apparently they already have ftp and
http services at their disposal.

But I will agree that not-shared-by-default is good. And the right place
to set umask in FreeBSD is in /etc/login.conf.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net